GoDaddy is the largest domain name provider in the world. But ultimately, it doesn’t matter where you buy your domain names. Every provider gives you the same product.
If you’re anything like me, you’d prefer better prices, a simpler interface, or better security. For those reasons, you should check out these alternatives to GoDaddy.
GoDaddy alternatives for buying domain names
Namecheap does exactly as you’d expect–provide Domain Names, cheap.
- Domains are incredibly cheap (or free) – You can get domains bundled in for free with some of their packages. Or you can buy them, for as low as $0.99.
- Wide range of services, addons – Like Godaddy, they’ve got a bunch of other features too i.e. hosting, security, apps. But, most importantly, they have great deals on domains–they offer huge discounts on the most popular extensions.
Porkbun is a newer entry into the domain name market.
- Unique experience – They’ve adopted a pink pig mascot to make their user experience unique. The site is really simple to use, which is a massive plus for me.
- Fairly priced – The pricing isn’t that bad either, and there is a huge list of domain TLDs that are harder to find on sites like GoDaddy.
- Freebies when you buy a domain – Unlike some of the bigger site, Porkbun also throws in a bunch of freebies with your domain i.e. free WHOIS privacy and SSL certificates.
When looking for simple and secure domain management, Name.com is the choice for you.
Simple, minimal – The simplicity of Name.com is something rivalled only by Porkbun. Perfect if you’re not looking to mess around with endless upselling.
If you’re a sucker for "big name tech-giants", Google also provides domains.
- Worth it – They tend to be a bit more expensive than other providers. But you know that you’re getting good service.
- Multiple integrations – Google Domains integrates seamlessly with the rest of Google’s services, so this is a huge plus for them.
NameSilo is where I’d look if I were looking for a bargain.
- Very low prices – They tend to have some of the lowest prices for their domain names. You can even see the domain name prices compared on their homepage.
Although NameSilo is cheap, you should factor in the deals that might offered elsewhere too. Shop around and make sure!
Uniregistry is a GoDaddy brand, but minimal and professional.
- Straight to the point – Unlike GoDaddy, there’s less upselling and over-commercialisation.
- Enterprise focussed – There’s a focus on the premium, bulk buy market, but it’s still perfectly fine for use by normal domain name customers.